Changing the SDN Based Kubernetes Network

Hello everyone, I am quite newbie on this field. I need to do Software Defined Network(SDN) by using Kubernetes. Then I need to create some nodes and some pods. After the deployment process occurred, during runtime I need to change the network traffic by changing the route. For example, I want to create a replica of a pod at the different node or change the node of pod during runtime without killing the pod. How can I do it, could someone can help me?

It seems there might be a misunderstanding about the forum’s focus. Your inquiry appears to be more related to the OpenFlow protocol, rather than OpenIAP Flow. If that’s the case, forums like OpenWRT, MikroTik, and RuckusWireless could be more relevant. They have active discussions on OpenFlow and might provide the insights you’re looking for.

If your interest indeed lies in integrating SDN within Kubernetes, it’s important to note that Kubernetes typically emphasizes ephemeral, scalable services rather than static, persistent ones. Therefore, replicating pods or adding support for live migration across nodes without downtime is inherently challenging within this framework.

For applications sensitive to network disruptions or requiring specific data persistence, Kubernetes offers constructs like StatefulSets for more stable networking and storage. Designing your application to be cloud-native, utilizing load balancing, and horizontal scaling, are recommended practices.

It would be beneficial to understand more about your specific application requirements. For instance, the need for persistent in-memory data, the importance of uninterrupted network connectivity, or integration with external networks. More details on your objectives and constraints will enable more precise advice.

It would also be nice to know how this is related to OpenIAP flow or OpenRPA ?

First of all sorry about my misunderstanding and thank you for your kind reply. I watched your Youtube video and came here and this is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onI_9JIAKbM&t=1308s

Actually my topic is related with SDN, Kubernetes and probably OpenFlow. I want to create a SDN based network in Kubernetes environment. When the network traffic is running on SDN, I want to change the SDN dynamically. To do this firstly I tried to change the node of pods, but I got that it’s not possible without deleting the existed one.

Now, I am trying to find answer for is it possible to create replicas of the pods and route the network traffic via newly created replica pod. If it is not possible are there any way to change the SDN during runtime? If yes I need for some detail about this issue. Thank you for your precious time.

But what are trying to replicate between?
2 deployments/replicaset, 2 nodes, or 2 node pools?
That is relevant, since it affects the dns names.
And most importantantly. Can you only have one running at any given or can multiple run at the same time?
Again would be helpfull to know what you want to run in the pod. A database?

Right now, I am not interested in the services in the pod. Actually, my problem is that think about SDN network on kubernetes, assume that one of the pod is attacked by someone, such as DDoS attack. After I detect it, I want to manipulate the network, for example creating the replica of this pod during runtime in another node, and my API will continue to work. Or may be another possible solution. Because of this reason I want to manipulate the network runtime, but I don’t know how. Thank you again for your response.

a ddos will never hit a pod directly, it will hit the ingress controller(s), so SDN will never help you there. In that case you need multiple ingress/egress controllers in different datacenters, and hope the ddos attack is on IP and not domain names. if so, then you need traffic shaping, if it is using dns, then all you can do is “black hole” the ip’s and wait til the attack is over.

Anyway this is far, far from the main focus on this forum. I highly suggest you try asking in one of the former suggested forums. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind attitude and answers:)

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.