Bug: dependency package name serialization error after saving project in OpenFlow or a different machine

OpenRPA version: 1.4.57.2
OpenFlow version: 1.5.10
Using app.openiap.io or self hosted openflow: self hosted

Hi,
There seems to be a serialization issue somewhere with project dependencies when you “edit” a project entity from OpenFlow.
Steps:

1. Create a project in OpenRPA, add any dependency to it.
  2. In OpenFlow, open openrpa collection and find the project.
  3. Save the project entry (you don’t need to change anything there).
  4. Synchronize OpenRPA to get the new version of the project.
  5. Check local cache (used file storage, not sure if present with db) and open the project file.
  6. The dependency now has multiple underscores instead of dots in the dependency name.

Effect: OpenRPA is not able to process the dependency and errors out when trying to refresh them.

“Fix” when it occurs: locally edit the project and push a new version to OpenFlow (close OpenRPA, fix the underscores bug, increment the version and start OpenRPA again)

Workaround: Do not save project entities from OpenFlow, use only OpenRPA.

While the “workaround” makes sense, it’s still weird, since the dependencies are just a json object (of which there are tons in OpenFlow/OpenRPA passed around), so a serialization error there is quite surprising.
Editing projects from OpenFlow makes sense from role management perspective (add/.remove roles for a project), so it’s not necessarily just a “why would you do it” hypothetical question.

you really should be setting permissions from openrpa ( select project and click permissions )

openflow will NOT update inherited permissions ( project → workflows/detectors/workitemqueues → images )

I still agree, it should not corrupt the file, but you REALLY should only update projects or workflows from within openrpa

Interesting, good to know.
But it’s also odd, since I can swear when I did it from OpenFlow on project level, the workflows did show up for the users and worked fine (admittedly I had to update the queue permissions separately, but that explains it).

I’ll need to look up again the guides for permission management.

Nvm, the workflows being visible was due to a different role giving access, so that’s out.

As for updating only from OpenRPA, yes, but you can’t rename a project from there also (minor thing, most of the time at least).

I’ve also had the issue appear again without updating projects from OpenFlow, so it appears that the workaround-fix doesn’t fully work.

Fix confirmation: fixed in 1.5.10.39.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.